10.16.2009

My new arm workout.


Ha! That's what kneading 8 pounds of dough will do for you! 100 years ago, this probably was the only arm workout most homemakers needed to keep their arms and shoulders fit, now we need bicep curls and pushups to do the same thing! : )

I would love to make bread-baking a regular habit around here. There's just something so homey and comforting about the smell of fresh-baked bread, not to mention all the health benefits. I am trying to take this time while things are relatively simple around our house to learn some of these skills, before more kids come along and life gets complicated again.

A friend recently lent me her grain mill and 2 bins of wheat grain while she is in the midst of a move. I've been eager to try my hand at bread-baking with a mix of whole grains using the soaking method. I have been reading recently about the benefits of soaking grains before baking or cooking with them. In short, traditionally, grains were always soaked for long periods of time to allow for better digestion and nutrient absorption. You'll often hear whole grains recommended for a healthy diet, however, without preparing them properly, they can be hard on our digestive systems and may even be the cause of some food sensitivities. With the advent of commercial white flour, many of these methods have been forgotten.

A couple of good places to read up on reasons for soaking your grains:


Here is the recipe I used (I know it looks complicated, but is really much easier than I thought it would be):

Combine the following, cover and soak for 12-24 hours (I soaked for 24 hours):
1 cup kefir (like yogurt, can be found in dairy case - or use cultured buttermilk or whey)
3 cups of water
11 cups of ground flour (I used 9 cups of whole wheat and 2 cups of kamut)
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted (can also use butter or olive oil)
1/3 cup flax seed (optional)

After soaking, activate the yeast by combining:
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. honey
2 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast

Combine the activated yeast with the soaked flour and add the following:
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
I didn't include these, but you can also add 2-4 Tbsp dough enhancer, 1 cup unbleached white flour, sunflower seeds, if desired.

Kneed for 8-10 minutes. Remove to a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and divide into 4 loaves. Roll out each loaf into a rectangle and roll up to make a well-formed loaf. Place in greased bread pans and rise again until doubled (about 30-45 minutes). Turn the oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let
cool.
Yum-yum! I think this is by far the best recipe I've ever used with a very rich flavor. The only problem was that some of the ingredients I added after soaking did not completely mix into the dough - a few slices were a bit salty or sweet (from the honey). I think a larger mixer might fix this problem, or halving the recipe for a smaller amount of dough. I may try that next time.  I originally found this recipe at Passionate Homemaking.

An added benefit to baking bread during the cold, wet and dreary days we've had around here is that the oven makes the house extra warm and cozy!

What are some of your favorite comfort foods to make when it's cold and dreary out?

2 comments:

Bwall said...

Katie...just wondering who pointed your in the direction of the Nourishing Traditions and the Winston Price Foundation? The girl I live with is all about this stuff, soaks her grains, etc. All about full fats as well. Just wondering b/c I haven't heard much about it.

Katie T. said...

I can't remember exactly how I stumbled upon the Nourishing Traditions book and WPF, possibly through one of the blogs I read. I've been doing a lot of reading about whole food, though, and soaking grains is mentioned in most of what I've been reading. Yep, we started drinking whole milk right along with Nora. I grew up on skim, so drinking milk now is like a special treat!